Monday, November 4, 2013

P.T.A.... Stands for.... Please Try Again


             Ever since I was little I have always been the first to help. Whether it was helping my friends clean and organize their room before we could play,(really i just wanted to score points in hopes of being adopted).I was always the first to help an old lady across the street. Yes sometimes she would give me money as a thank you, but that's not the point.And who could forget the time I threw bread out the back window of the car to a homeless crackhead on the way out of the grocery store parking lot,( sorry grandmother).

           I have always been able to put others first and think of the greater good. So of course parenting came natural. I woke up in the middle of the night to infantile screams of hunger with a smile on my face. I wiped markered covered faces with pleasure. I shopped for groceries and pulled a stroller simultaneously with ease. I was made for this! I was a giving, helping, loving, multi-tasking, motherly God!!!!


    So when the head of the Stroller Mommy Divas (what i now refer to them as) approached me about being a part of my children's Home and School Club I jumped out of my skin with joy. The thought of meeting with these women once a week to plan for our children's future. I couldn't wait to be part of the next fundraiser or plan the next festival. I mean I had already been volunteering in their classes and going on feildtrips but it wasn't enough. I wanted to do more.

            My assignments included me begging businesses to give me free stuff to auction off or stapling newsletters, but mainly sitting around listening to women gossip about their lives and passively trying to "one up" each other. They had soooo much time on their hands because they all had nannies. 

Here I was working, raising my kids and trying to volunteer my time for what! To listen to these women talk about their yoga classes and watch them drink their "grande mocha chai hold the foam".Don't get me wrong, to each their own, but I wasn't that kind of mom. I was hands on. I was busy . I was tired . I didn't have time to hang out for three hours to plan a cake walk. Its simple...numbers,cake,music,walk...DONE. What the hell were they talking about . 

            Needless to say I went back to just volunteering in the classroom. I even hung out with the nannies. It was a lot more fun changing their little lives by teaching them how to hold a pencil right or how to cut a circle, then it was drinking coffee and socializing.

Side Note: Hey PTA Lady ....next year find me....I'll write a check!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment