Monday, December 15, 2014

It's A Wonderful Life (kinda)

I was Christmas shopping last night and we went to Walmart (stocking stuffers don't judge me).Upon arriving I witnessed a mom telling her kid "shut your goddamn mouth" as she smacked him in the mouth this was shocking to me. 

I'm pretty sure I've asked my kid to shut his mouth before.No I'm definitely sure I've told my kid to shut his mouth. His goddamn mouth? No not so much. Then proceed to smack him in the face? No way,over the line.Yes we all dreamed of smacking Veruca Salt, but that was a movie. 

 BUT I didn't want to judge this mom I was trying really hard.She had three kids with her, she was obviously stressed to the max,Christmas shopping in Walmart!! I get it we all have our moments where were just filled with rage because we cannot understand why these tiny human beings want to test us,push us,push their sisters, push their brothers,(literal and not). They want to push boundaries,they can't just listen to what they're told,and why oh why can't they just live up to the human being you need them to be at that exact moment!!
 BUT the fact that this "mother" had the audacity to smack her child in the face in public was (obviously both pathetic and disgusting) but also had me riveted and compelled to pay attention. I couldn't walk away, I was in it now. If I left I was just as guilty as she. 
I pretended to shop, I don't even remember what the hell I was looking at,and I waited. I waited to see if this little shit deserved it.You know if he was that one kid youve seen on Nanny 911 swinging around knives, and punching his brother in the face.

BUt all I heard was "I'm tired I want to go".  "Please I'm hungry". This led to him leaning his tired body on his sisters shoulder which broke out in chaos. I don't know if the mom heard any of this. She turned around and screamed "what is your problem?! Goddammit act right!!" And jerked the oldest kids arm. 

It was her. It was her fault. They weren't cussing, they weren't trying to steal, they weren't calling their mom a bitch, they were saying please I'm tired I want to go home.They had enough. They had surpassed their limit. 
Children have a limit and when that limit hits its peak they turn into gremlins.They become  bloodsucking psychopaths that are ready to beat up their brothers and sisters any given second. 
Do they need to be punished for that?
 I don't think so.The parent is the person in charge. The parent is suppose to give them the tools to deal with these emotions.So if her kids are failing in Walmart,she is failing in Walmart.i don't think a child should be punished because you suck at your job. 
Maybe you need a timeout. 

I was extremely tempted to walk up to her and give her some of her own medicine but I figured I would end up on some 20/20 episode about fights and Walmart so I stopped myself. 
Instead I stared hard enough that she could feel my glare penetrating her personal bubble.She eventually turned and looked at me. I locked eyes with her long enough so she could know "I see you! You're not in your house beating up your kid for no one to see, you're in Walmart and I see you!!"
 I sensed she was a little embarrassed but who knows. I continued to shop feeling anxious and uncomfortable so it was extremely unenjoyable.I was able to get the things I needed. Maybe this was my karma for shopping at Walmart. 
 
I thought writing this experience would make me feel better,like most of my writing does,but I don't feel better. 
There are kids everyday being taught wrong or not being taught at all.Then they become labeled as the "bad kids" the "little shits" and the kids who don't get invited to birthday parties.Truth is, it's not their fault. Kids are playdoh man, they're  what you mold them to be. As a parent you have one job....DONT SUCK!  

NOW I FEEL BETTER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment