Saturday, December 20, 2014

A Christmas Story

This will be my last post until after Christmas. At this very moment I'm anxious, tired, and ready. Although this year,I feel excited and eager for it to pass, equal measures. 
WHY?? 
Because of what I see. 
Why does Christmas put so many people in a crazy, stressed out, hate my life mood??
Whether it's the stores manipulating you to "buy! buy!buy!" or the people complaining about the stores manipulation, there is negativity no matter which way you turn. It's the family who complains about having to travel or the family members who are too stubborn or selfish to show up to the once a year get togethers. It's in the voices of the stressed out customers not getting the exact deal they were promised on their latest E-coupon.Everywhere you look you see it..... The "Christmas spirit " is dying. 
 

Let's go back about twenty three years. 
I was eight, and all I wanted for Christmas was a Chicago Bulls parka,
(Don't judge! This was actually dope in the 90's), and I had told EVERYONE that I knew that this is what I wanted. I went to sleep that Christmas Eve knowing I was getting it. I was sure. I was positively sure. 
I woke up the next morning, at what must have been sunrise, and I flew to the living room. There were three presents. One to me, and one to each of my sisters. There wasn't one for my brother which I thought was odd but Santa must have thought he was too little to care (he was a baby). "Who cares!" I dug in. This was it! Everyone at school would think I was so cool....jeans!! They were jeans. I wanted to cry but I held it in. I looked at my sister she was trying on her new Bulls jacket. Santa got her the jacket!!! I told he was confused,it was for me. She insisted it was for her. 
For the next year I watched her wear my jacket to school. Someone stole it from her before it could be passed down to me. Christmas around my house got more and more bleak until non-existent. I didn't wake up early on Christmas morning anymore. 
Skip ahead,I'm fifteen and a lot has changed.I have a full time job,I'm making a lot of money for a teenager but I have responsibilities. But although a lot had changed I still remembered. I remember being disappointed and I didn't want that for my little brother and sister and I could do something about that. I bought presents, I bought a tree,I decorated,  even made Santas footprints with flour. The next morning I woke up early. 
They were so happy! Jumping up and down. Christmas came while they were sleeping!!
I had lost the Christmas spirit when I was eight and here I was at fifteen (and some change) gaining it all back. It wasn't because I was able to buy them stuff it was because they knew the were remembered and loved. 

I am thirty one,and have my own kids now, (as you loyal readers know), and I still love Christmas. I love baking, I love seeing family that live far away, I love giving. I love the lights, the smells and the smiles. I love wine with friends, warm fires, wrapping presents, and of course the food!!

So when I see the stressed and angry faces running about,I can't help but think, I am so thankful for my forgotten Christmas pasts. I am thankful for the present one and for those to come. I am thankful I learned a hard lesson early in life. I am thankful for the hardships that have come and passed that helped my children learn a hard lesson early in life. 
Christmas is a feeling, a smile, a hug, a memory, it's love. 
So ...... 
Slow down, don't worry, smile, share, laugh, and help keep the spirit of Christmas alive. 
Nobody wants to be around this guy on Christmas.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Happy holidays!! HAPPY HANUKKAH!! Happy KWANZA!!! 
(Whatever floats your boat) 😁






1 comment: